Sunday, April 1, 2012

Eye: Peacock

I thought I would do a peacock inspired eye to go with my recent Peacock Nail Tutorial. I haven't done a peacock eye since MAC came out with Peacocky in Winter 2010. The one I did back then was a green and purple, so I thought I'd change it up. This look was a half success. The problem was a combination of things. That I'm feeling lazy, that my brushes were dirty so I couldn't get good colour definition, that I started without a clear idea of what I wanted to do (and overworked my poor sore eye), and also that there were waaay too many colours I wanted to cram in here. I have so many perfect colours!
Anyway, enough buildup! The bottom line is that this is what I did, the colours and brushes I used, and hopefully I inspire someone to try their own.
(Also note my skin in these pictures, in the finished shots. This is the Revlon Photoready Airbrush stuff... Wow! I will review this soon. And finally, excuse my budding unibrow :D)

What I used:

Note that the number has nothing to do with application order... or anything other than to indicate which colour I used)
These are all MAC shadows.
1. Amber Lights
2. Humid
3. Blue Candy (LE)
4. Juxt
5. Freshwater
6. Deep Truth

I have a Lise Watier glitter in the photo that I did not end up using. There is my HG Urban Decay Primer Potion up in the right corner, and from left to right we have MAC False Lashes Extreme Black, Urban Decay 24/7 Pencils in Electric & Baked, MAC pencil in Undercurrent, and Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Liner.
The 219 that is hiding is a pencil brush. From top to bottom, you'll see me refer to these as  my flat brush, shading brush, blending brush, angled brush, pencil brush, and fluffy brush. 


 I applied Juxt lightly all over my eyelid up to my brow with my big fluffy brush, then I patted it on my lid with my shading brush.



I always wiped my brushes after switching colours, but you should probably use different brushes if possible. I was just being lazy. Here I'm applying Amber Lights to the center of my eyelid in a patting motion using my shading brush.




I used my shading brush and Blue Candy (LE) to apply slightly rounded line of colour. You want this colour to "hug" your eyeball. (sounds gross, right?) 






Then you're going to do the same to the other side of your eyeball, curving outward. Like so... 
After that, you'll be building your colour towards the outer corner of your eye. I applied some Lucky green right beside the Blue Candy, and then some Freshwater. It started to look a bit muddy... too many colours on one dirty brush, but I go back in to define the colours in a minute.

I dipped my pencil brush into Amber Lights and patted over the original section. Then I did the same with Lucky Green, Blue Candy, Freshwater... I went from lightest to darkest just so I wasn't buggering up the brush. I could have avoided this all with better planning, but this is how it all went down! Haha. 


I grabbed my blending brush and very lightly worked from the inside corner to the outside with little outward sweeps. You want to blend it, but not too much. The colour individual should definitely stand out. 

From here I cleaned up the fallout with a Q-Tip and some moisturizer. I took my pencil Brush and applied Deep Truth to the outer 1/3rd of my crease and blended it in a windshield wiper motion with my blending brush, then took my fluffy brush and lightly swept some Juxt overlapping my crease colour and a bit up towards the brow. I blended that very well with little circular motions. I applied my eyeliner, and I used Humid to blend outer corners of my eyeliner up into the Deep Truth applied to my crease. 

A few of my pictures didn't turn out, which is why I don't have pictures of the final few steps, but I used the 3 liners along my lower lash line, just slightly below the waterline (that way when I applied my black liner it wouldn't completely cover them.) I used Baked (the golden colour) in the inner corner, Electric (the bright blue) in the middle, and Undercurrent in the outer corner.I used an angled brush blend the end of one into the start of the next, and flicked the end of Undercurrent up into the winged eyeliner. By now my eyes were so sore from being overworked (it was a trial and error thing) that my eyeliner did not want to stay in place. 

I applied Feline to my waterline, which is a dark black MAC liner. I set it with a fluffy duo fiber brush (MAC 187) and Tarte setting powder. I applied one coat of MAC False Lashes Extreme Black mascara. Somewhere in between I penciled on my brows and applied Revlon Photoready Airbrush makeup with a 187 and a cosmetic sponge. Here is the finished product:



 It's kind of a mess of a tutorial, but it's been a mess of a process! <3
-H. Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks darling <3